The following list is from my sermon this last Sunday at Central. We were talking about the implications of the crucifixion of Jesus and the way that it radically reshapes the way that we are called to live our lives. Here it is:
We do not live according to the ways of the kingdoms of this world, but according to the way of the Kingdom of God.
- We reject a life of revenge and "redemptive violence" to live a life of loving our enemies.
- We reject a life of power for a life of humility and service.
- We reject a life of compulsion or coercion for people to agree with our point of view in order that we may live a life of invitation for all to enter into the Kingdom of God.
- We reject the idea that those who claim to run the world in fact really do.
- We claim a citizenship that is NOT of this world and we follow a king whose throne is not in Jerusalem or Washington but is in Heaven at the right hand of God Almighty.
- We reject that we find life by preserving and enriching our own, but that we are to die to ourselves in order that we may life for the sake of others.
- We reject that there is another way to live the life that we were created to live other than the way of the cross of Jesus Christ.
OR DO WE?